Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Things to Covet at "That Time of Year"





Thanks to my friend Pam of the wonderful Phantasmaphile website for alerting me to reduction in price of the wonderful, (and long coveted, by me at least) Taschen book Atlas of Anatomy and Surgery: The Complete Coloured Plates of 1831-1854 , by J. M. Bourgery (pictured above.) It is a largescale book--11.4 x 15.9 in.--and runs to 714 pages filled with lavish color anatomical plates by illustrator N.H. Jacob. The book is pleasurably reminiscent of the oversized, luxurious folios so popular with collectors over the course of the history of medicine (Vesalius comes to mind...). Taschen is offering it for 50% off, bringing the price down to (the still hefty) $100. But still... It might be worth it? I, for one, am undecided.

Read more about it (and maybe even order a copy for yourself or a loved one?) here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I covet it too

Anonymous said...

I'm hungry now