Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vanitas Figure, Wellcome Collection, London




While in the UK the last few weeks, I had the immense pleasure of visiting the Wellcome Collection. I could not recommend this museum more highly; it was the most exciting museum I have visited in a long while. More images and a more complete review to come, but for now, as I sort through my scores of photographs, please accept my offering of this beautiful wax, cloth, and hair vanitas figure, probably made in Europe in the 18th century, on display in the Medicine Man exhibit, and is on loan from the Science Museum. More to come soon--I promise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful...there's something so specially uncanny about wax. (I imagine this is the kind of thing Damien Hirst wishes he could achieve. All his factory-produced parodies of momento mori and vanitas that are in the news these days are beginning to annoy me a bit....)